Tain Museum Image Library

john clark



The Ark This historic building was situated between the bottom of Hill Street and Well Street. It was reput...
Manse Street, 1895 Ross the Dairy's house and garden wall are on the left of this photo with Tommy Bogg's grocer shop b...
Bringing home firewood, Inver With the horse and cart are Alex and Bella (nee Ross) Fraser, of 11 Main Street, Inver. Alex was bo...
Meikle Ferry Station This shows a view of the station building and part of the platform and railway line. See also Pictu...
Message boy on baker's delivery tricycle The boy on the tricycle is Lachie Gallie who was a message boy for Alexander's bakery located in Gla...
Seaplane on Tain River This picture shows a Sea Plane of the Royal Naval Air Service taking off from the estuary of Tain Ri...
The old toll house This is the toll house on the A9 just to the south of Tain. It was built in the early 19th century a...
Unloading peat for Glenmorangie Distillery As Tain had no natural harbour, any goods brought by sea had to be dealt with in the manner shown. ...
Whales at Bonar Bridge This post card shows a stranding of a school of whales off Bonar bridge in October, 1927. The bridg...
Cromarty (Nigg) Ferry This picture copied from a post card was given to the museum in 1985 with an accompanying note which...
Class 3A, TRA 1963 Back row - L to R - John Ross, Richard Hart, David Ross, John Skinner, Ian Macrae, Philip MacPherson...
Gold Mining, Kildonan, Sutherland These three gold miners are standing against the backdrop of the gold mining village used during the...
Opening new Golf Course, Tain, 1911 This post card was published by Urquhart, Dingwall and Tain. It is postmarked "Tain, 2.45 pm Dec 26...
Tain Salmon fishing station This picture shows a group of fisherman in front of the bothy, being paid by Alex Cormack.
Aerial View of central Tain, c1940 In this Admiralty aerial photograph, the Royal Hotel (in the centre) and the Parish Church (left cen...
Aerial view of part of Tain This picture from an unknown newspaper or Magazine is entitled "Tain: From the Air" was possibly tak...
Aerial view of Tain This pre-1969 (no sign of the new TRA) Air Ministry view of Tain, as seen directly from above, is lo...
Aerial view of west end of Tain, c1940 This Amiralty aerial photograph shows some of the houses on the south side of Manse Street under con...
At Loch Eye, Fearn This post card was photographed and published by Gordon, Fearn. It shows a spot on the shore of Loc...
New Street, Inver? An intriguing row of thatched cottages. Further information including confirmation of its location ...
Tower Street, Tain The interesting thing about this picture of Tower Street is the appearance of the building second fr...
1750 map of Tain This map (with west at the top) was drawn by Alexander Sangster in about 1750 to show the boundaries...
Amat Lodge, Ardgay This picture of Amat Lodge in the 19th Century shows its original form before extensions were built....
Amat Lodge, Ardgay This picture shows Amat Lodge after substantial extensions have been built onto the original buildin...
Andrew Carnegie This photo of Andrew Carnegie, the millionaire and philanthropist and one time owner of Skibo Castle...
Club Officials, Tain Golf Club, 1928 This photo of club officials and others was taken outside the club house. L to R - Bob Laing (Secre...
Deanich Lodge, near Ardgay Deanich Lodge is situated c15 miles west of Ardgay in the valley of the Abhainn Gleann Mor, a tribut...
Edderton Church This striking aerial view of Edderton Church and its immediate surroundings is looking east towards ...
Farming scene, Easter Ross We have no details about this interesting scene of haystacks and horseteams. Can anyone provide any...
Edderton Station This Post Card of Edderton Station is postmarked Aug 1964 (or perhaps 1954 as it is not very clear)....
Fountain, High Street, Tain This fountain was created as part of the decorations for Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee Celebration...
Golfers on The Links, Tain This postcard was sent from Fearn to Edinburgh in 1903. The view is looking across The Links from G...
Golfing at Tain A very early photo of golf at Tain, presumably taken before the present course was constructed in 18...
Hilton of Cadboll Stone The Hilton stone is a spectacular Pictish monument probably carved in the 9th century. The main part...
Kyle of Sutherland & Dornoch Firth from the Struie This splendid post card view from the Struie was published by J B White Ltd, Dundee.
Jubilee procession A procession down Tain High Street to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. The Murray Monu...
Lamington Street, Tain This hand-tinted postcard of Lamington Street was posted in Gollanfield in 1905, by a visitor to Tai...
Laying the Foundation Stone, Carbisdale Castle This picture of the laying of the foundation stone at Carbisdale Castle is taken from an old post ca...
Lily Cottage The photograph shows Mr & Mrs Murray outside Lily Cottage in Manse Street. The cottage still stands...
Mussel Dredger This dramatic picture shows Cliff Moscati's Mussel Dredger "Foinavon" anchored off Meikle Ferry on a...
Old Bonar Bridge This bridge was built in 1811/12 to the plan of Telford. It provided the first road link between Ro...
Opening of golf clubhouse, Tain, 1911 This clubhouse was constructed after the golf course was extended to the Tain side of the Plaids Roa...
Original Clubhouse, Tain GC This picture is of the original clubhouse built when Tain Golf Club (then called St Duthus Golf Club...
Preparing for War This possibly shows the fleet beginning to gather, as a similar view is shown on a postcard which ha...
Quebec Bridge The mason responsible for this bridge was a Mr Mackenzie. We are not certain how the bridge got its...
School Street, Fearn This picture gives a good idea of what life was like in the rural areas of Ross-shire at the turn of...
Scotsburn Road, Tain, pre-WWII All the buildings shown in this picture have now gone. The long low building was a garage owned by ...
St Duthus Hotel This picture shows a group of Austin cars outside the St Duthus Hotel. It probably dates back to th...
Stag Croft, Moss Road We think this early picture of Stag Croft, at the top of Moss Road, was taken c1900. It was clearly...
Standard car - driver D Mackay This picture was taken outside Wilhaven House, Portmahomack.
St Duthus Cycle and Motor Works The St Duthus Cycle and Motor Works was situated in Sutherland Street and was owned by Dan Mackay (f...
Tain Station c1960 The railway reached Tain in 1864. Tain station used to be a very busy place and employed c30 people...
Tarrel Farm Squad This photograph of farm workers employed at Tarrel Farm in 1890 was taken by Willaim Smith. It give...
The Golf Links and Clubhouse, Nigg This a copy of a post card shows Castlecraig Golf Course and clubhouse c1910. The Nigg Ferry Hotel ...
The King's Causeway The King's Causeway is said to have been built by the people of Tain for James IV when they heard he...
Travelling Family The picture for this Post Card showing a group of travelling people, possibly on The Links or the Fe...

Latest Pics

Rhamore farmhouse, EddertonTorpedo BottleCabin-trunk New PictureJessie (nee) Mackenzie EddertonNew PictureNew PictureNew PictureNew PictureBalintore Harbour