Tain Museum Image Library
Tain & District Museum Year: 1815Plan of St Duthus Church, 1815
This plan of the former Collegiate Church but then the Parish Church of Tain was drawn by James Shand, a teacher in Tain. It shows all the additions made in the years following the Reformation. On the south wall he has marked part of the foundations of a transept or porch. The mark where the roof of this joined the main wall of the church can still be seen. Also on this wall are two chapels. At the south east corner is the "Vestry of Old" (sacristy). We can also see several external "stairs of various ages" which led to a number of lofts built during the 17th and 18th centuries. A little apart from the main building is "The Rosses' Chapel" where several of the Ross clan are buried. It still stands although in a deteriorating condition.
Shand also made drawings of the interior and exterior of the church in 1819. To see these and for further information see "The Collegiate Kirk of St Duthus of Tain and the Abbey of Fearn"by Harry Gordon Slade, available from Tain Through Time shop or our website.
Picture added on 14 February 2006