Tain Museum Image Library
251 Contributor: Tain & District Museum Year: 1920Gordon Maitland c1920?
Gordon Maitland (wearing the bowler hat) was one of the Maitland family of architects who were responsible for many of the fine buildings of Tain built in the latter part of the 19th and early part of the 20th Centuries. He was the grandson of the founder, Andrew Maitland, and worked in the business for over 20 years before leaving for Paris in the 1920's to take up sculpture. Also in this group, taken outside St Duthus Memorial Church is Dan Mackenzie (Dan "Heavy") on the far right. Dan Mackenzie had a carpenter's business at the old ham factory on Shore Road, later taken over by George Morrison. Dan's son who was relatively slim, was known as Jimmy "Light". Obviously both by-names reflected their differing builds.
Picture added on 23 February 2005